A Review on Extended Release Matrix Tablet
Purpose : The aim of the study was to explore the necessity, advantages and different techniques of extended release matrix tablet to achieve continuous delivery of drugs at predictable rate and reproducible kinetics for a preterm delivery and provide a therapeutic amount of a drug to the proper site of the body to achieve promptly and then maintain the desired drug concentration.
Approach: Different types of extended release matrix tablet have been explained briefly along with the various formulation which mainly by wet granulation or direct compression method or by dispersion of solid particle within a porous matrix formed by using different polymers like HPMC, guar gum, xanthan gum, pectin, chitosan etc.
Finding: The matrix controls the release rate of drug. Release retardants like HPMC can aid in extended release and thus they form core excipient of the formulation. The matrices used may be hydrophilic, hydrophobic, mineral, or biodegradable types. The drug release rate can be studied by in vitro dissolution studies. Some drugs that have been formulated as extended release matrix tablets are Ambroxol HCl, Clarithromycin, Indomethacin etc.
Conclusion: The extended release matrix tablets can assure better patient compliance through reduction in total dose and dosage regimen, which can be great help to treat chronic diseases. This review highlights the types of matrices, mechanisms involved and evaluation studies.
- Suriyaprakash TNK, Lakshamana P, Arumugarajan A, Sumathi A. Formulation and evaluation of oral controlled release clarithromycin matrix tablets using hydrophylic polymer. Int J Pharm Sci Nanotech. 2013;6(4):2255-2260.
- Remington. The science and practice of pharmacy. 21st Edition. USA Lippincott: Williams & Wilkins; 2005.
- Brahmankar H A, Jaiswal S B. Bio pharmaceutics and pharmacokinetics. Treatise: Vallabh Prakashan; 2000.
- Bhargava A, Rathore R P S, Tanwar Y S, Gupta S, Bhaduka G. oral sustained release dosage form an opportunity to prolong the release of drug. Int J Adv Res Pharm Bio Sci. 2013;3(1):7-14.
- Chauhan M J, Patel S A. Aconcise review on sustained drug delivery system and its opportunities. Am J Pharm Tech Res. 2012;2(2): 227-238.
- Mandal S, Ratan GN, Mulla JS, Thimmasetty J, Kaneriya A. Design and In Vitro evaluation of gastro retentive sustained release tablets of tizanidine hydrochloride. Int New Drug Deliv. 2010;2(4):144-152.
- Chugh I, Seth N, Rana AC and Gupta S. Oral sustained release drug delivery system. Int Res J Pharm. 2012;3(5):57-62.
- Patel PN, Patel MM, Rathod DM, Patel JN, Modasiya MMK. Sustained release drugdelivery: atheoretical prospective. J Pharm Res. 2012;5(8):4165-4168.
- Hoffman A. Pharmacodynamics aspects of sustained release preparations. Adv Drug Deliv Rev. 1998;33:185-199.
- Munday DC, Cox PJ. Compressed xanthan and karaya gum matrices: Hydration, erosion and drug release mechanisms. Int J Pharm. 2000;203:179-192.
- Venkatraman S, Davar N, Chester A. An overview of controlled release systems. Donald L Wise, Marcel Dekker Inc; 2000.p.431- 465.
- Jantzen GM and Robinson JR. Sustained and controlled release drug delivery systems, in Banker GS, Rhodes CT(Eds.) Modern pharmaceutics. 3rd Ed. Revised and expanded, drugs and the pharmaceutical sciences. Marcel Dekker Inc:New York; 1995.p. 575-609.
- Brahmankar H A, Jaiswal S B. Bio pharmaceutics and pharmacokinetics. Treatise: Vallabh Prakashan; 2000.p. 337,348-357.
- Sujja A J, Munday DL, Cox PJ, Khan K. Relationship between swelling, erosion and drug release in hydrophilic natural gum minimatrix formulations. Eur J Pharm Sci 1998;6(3):207-217.
- Boniferoni MC, Rossi S, Ferrari F, Bartoni M, et al. Viscoelastic properties of gels. Int J Pharm Sci 1995;117:41-48.
- Patel KK, Patel MS, Bhatt NM, Patel LD, Pathak NL, Patel KJ. An overview: extended release matrix technology. Int J Pharm Chem Sci 2012;1(2):828.
- Pundir S, Badola A, Sharma D. Sustained release matrix technology and recent advance in matrix drug delivery system. Int J Drug Res Tech 2013;3(1):12-20.
- Jaimini M, Kothari A. Sustained release matrix type drug delivery system: Rev J of Drug Delivery Ther. 2012;2(6):142-148.
- Lieberman H A, Lachman L, kanig J L. The theory and practice of industrial pharmacy. 3rd Edition. Varghese publishing house; 2014.
- Kumar S, Kant S,Prashar B. A review on sustained release drug delivery system. Int J Inst Pharm life Sci. 2012;2(3):356-376.
- Cooper J, Gunn C. Powder flow and compaction. New Delhi: CBS; 1986, p211–233.
- Indian pharmacopoeia. 4th Edition. New Delhi: The controller of publications; 1996.
- Matthews BR. Regulatory aspects of stability testing in Europe. Drug Dev Ind Pharm. 1999; 25:831-856.
- Barbara S, Martin S, Hoechst MR. Dissolution tests for ER product. Available f r om: URL : dx.doi.org/10.14227/DT050498P5.
- Madgulkar A R, Bhalekar M R, Warghade N S, Chavan N S. Preparation and evaluation of sustained release matrix tablet of nateglinide effect of variables. Inventi Rapid NDDS. 2011;2(1).
- Medisetti V K, Avasarala H, Ramesh S, PadmaERi S, Karthika D, Mouli C. Formulation and evaluation of sustained release hydrophilic matrix tablets of diclofenac sodium using natural almond gum. Inventi Rapid NDDS. 2012;4:1-6.
- Corti G, Cirri M, Maestrelli F, Mennini N, Mura P. Sustained-release matrix tablets of metformin hydrochloride in combination with triacetyl-b-cyclodextrin. Eur J Pharm Biopharm. 2008;68:303–309.
- Prasad A, Issac J, Verma A K. Development of sustained release cefpodoxime matrix tablets: an investigation on effects of combination of hydrophilic and hydrophobic matrix formers. Inventi Impact NDDS. 2010;1(2).
- Haresh M, Thimmasetty J, Ratan G N. Formulation development and in-vitro evaluation of sustained release matrix tablets of risperidone. Inventi Impact Pharm Tech. 2013;1:28-34.
- Rahman M, Ahsan Q, Jha M K, Ahmed I, Rahman H. Effect of mannitol on release of lamivudine sustained release matrix tablets using methocel K15M CR polymer. Inventi Impact Pharm Tech. 2011;1:58-62.
- Jain D, Shukla S B. Formulation and evaluation of sustained release matrix tablets of isoniazid. A comparative aspect based on polymer. Inventi Rapid NDDS. 2011;2(1).
- Hadi M, Rao S, Vineeth P, Azharuddin M. Formulation and evaluation of once daily sustained release matrix tablet of terbutaline sulphate for treatment of nocturnal asthma. Res J Pharm Dosage Form Tech. 2013;5(1):27-32.
- Pagar H B, Shinde U P, Barhate S D, Bari M M, Janjale M V, Agrawal Y S. Formulation and evaluation of indomethacin sustained release matrix tablets. Inventi Rapid NDDS. 2011;4.
- Wani MS. Controlled release system-A review. Pharm Rev. 2008;6 (1):41-46.
- Mehul Ch, Hemul V. Preparation and evaluation of sustained release tablets of cefixime trihydrate using natural excipients. Int J Pharmacy Res Rev. 2015;4(6):1-6.
- Eddy G, Antonio C, Bernard B, Luis P, Fernand R, Jyrki H. Development and optimization of a novel sustained-release dextran tablet formulation for propranolol hydrochloride. Int J Pharm. 2006:1-6.