A Review on Self Emulsified Drug Delivery System: A Promising Approach for Drug Delivery of BCS Class II and IV Drugs
Purpose: The oral delivery of drugs having poor aqueous solubility presents a major challenge. Selfemulsifying drug delivery systems (SEDDS), which are isotropic mixtures of oils, surfactants, solvents and cosolvents/surfactants, can improve the oral absorption of highly lipophilic drug compounds. The current review summarizes the latest research in the field of SEDDS and we emphasize basically the type of excipients used by current researcher.
Approaches: SEDDS can be orally administered in soft or hard gelatin capsules and form fine relatively stable oil- in- water (o/w) emulsions upon aqueous dilution owing to the gentle agitation of the gastrointestinal fluids.
Findings: Lipophilic drug compounds exhibit dissolution rate-limited absorption, these systems may offer an improvement in the rate and extent of absorption and result in more reproducible plasma drug profiles.
Conclusion: Almost 40% of the new drug compounds are hydrophobic in nature which draws attention towards SEDDS to improve the oral bioavailability of such drugs.
- Robinson JR. Introduction: Semi-solid formulations for oral drug delivery. B T Gattefosse. 1996; 89: 11–13.
- Anand UK, Kisan R J, Vilasrao JK. Self micro-emulsifying drug delivery system (SMEDDS). JPR. 2010; 3(1):75-83.
- Burcham DL, Maurin MB, Hausner EA, Huang SM. Improved oral bioavailability of the hypocholesterolemic DMP 565 in dogs following oral dosing in oil and glycol solutions, Biopharm and Drug Dispos. 1997 Nov;18(8):737-42.
- Pooja M, Rana AC. Rajni B. Lipid based self micro-emulsifying drug delivery system for lipophilic drugs-an review. Int Res J Pharmacy. 2011; 2(12):75-80.-
- Amit K, Vandana P. Design and evaluation of self-emulsifying drug delivery systems (SEDDS) of nimodipine. AAPS PharmSciTech. 2008; 9(1):191.
- Tang Jingling, Jin Sun. Preparation of selfemulsifying drug delivery systems of Ginkgo biloba extracts and in vitro dissolution studies. AJTMM. 2006;1:3-4.
- Wadhwa J, Nair A, Kumria R. emulsion forming drug delivery system for lipophilic drugs. Acta Poloniae Pharmaceutica Drug Research. 2012; 69(2):179-191.
- Jeevana JB Sreelakshmi K. design and evaluation of self nanoemulsifying drug delivery system of flatamide. JYP. 2011; 3(1):4-8
- Patel PA, Chaulang GM, Akolkotkar A, Mutha SS, Hardikar S, Bhosale AV. Self emulsifying drug delivery system: a review. RJPT. 2008; 1(4):313-323.
- Khinchi MP, Gupta A, Gupta MK. Selfemulsifying drug delivery system: a review. AJBPR. 2011; 1(2):359-367.
- Tang B, Cheng G, Gu J, Xu CH. Development of solid self-emulsifyingdrug delivery systems: preparation techniques and dosage forms. Drug Discovery Today. 2008; 13(13): 606-612.
- Pouton CW. Formulation of self-emulsifying drug delivery systems. ADDR. 1997; 25(1): 47-58.
- Shubhra S, Yadav s.Applications of self emulsifying drug delivery systems in novel drug delivery- a review. AJBA.2014;6 (1):06-14.
- Mann B, Roy GS. Self-Emulsifieddrug delivery system for the enhancement of oral bioavailability of poorly water soluble drugs; 2013;2(3), 421-36.
- Shobhit K, Satish KG and Pramod KS. Selfemulsifying drug delivery systems for oral Delivery of lipid based formulations-a review. African journal of basic and Applied Science. 2012; 4(1): 7-11.
- Obitte NC, Chukwu A, Onyishi VI, Obitte BCN. The physicochemical evaluation and applicability of landolphia owariensis latex as a release modulating agent in its admixture With carbosil in Ibuprofen loaded selfemulsifying oil formulations. International Journal of Applied Research In Natural Products.2010; 2(4): 27-43.
- Zhao X, Zhou YQ, Potharaju S, Lou H, Sun HM, Brunson E, Almoazen H, Johnson J. Development of a self micro-emulsifying tablet of cyclosporine-A by the liquid solid Compact technique. International Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences and Research.2011; 2(9): 2299-2308.
- Ashish D, Premchand N and Pramod Y. Formulation and in-vitro evaluation of selfmicroEmulsifying Drug Delivery System (SMEDDS) of Furosemide. De Pharmacia Letter. 2010; 2(2): 94-106.
- Maria S, Sharda Z, Vinay UR, Zahid Z, Reshma S, Shailesh B. Formulation and In vitroEvaluation of Solid self- emulsifying drug delivery system (SEDDs) of Glibenclamide. (2013) American Journal of Advanced Drug Delivery. 1(3): 323-340.
- Gajendra S, Khinchi MP, Gupta MK, Dilip A, Natasha S. Dissolution enhancement of Diclofenac Sodium by self emulsifying technique. Journal of pharma research. 2012; 1(4):4-6.
- Hauss DJ and Fogal SE. Lipid-based delivery systems for improving the bioavailability and lymphatic transport ofpoorly water soluble LTB4 inhibitors, J. Pharm Sci. 1994; 87: 164-169.
- Karim A, Gokhale R and M. Cole. HIV protease inhibitor SC 52151 a novel method of optimizing bioavailability profile via a microemulsion drug delivery system. Pharm Res. 1994; 11: 368.
- Khamkar GS. Self micro-emulsifying drug delivery system (SMEDDS) o/w microemulsion for BCS Class II drugs: An approach to enhance an oral bioavailability. International Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2011; 3(3): 1-3.
- Roshan VP, Karan KP, Vijay RM, Avinash SD. Self emulsifying therapeutic system - A Review: International journal of pharmaceutical & biologicalarchives. 2012; 3(3):481-486.
- Mahesh Dangi , Madan Jyotsana and Banode Sagar. Emulsion based drug delivery system, Indian Journal of Novel Drug delivery. 2011;1:2-8.
- Wongsakorn Suchaoin, Irene Pereira de Sousa; Development and in vitro evaluation of Zeta potential changing self-emulsifying drug delivery systems for enhanced mucus Permeation: International Journal of Pharmaceutics. 2016; 510(1):255–262.
- Suthar Vrunda, Butani Shital. Solid Self –Emulsified Nano Structures of Lecanidipine Hydrochloride; A potential Approach To Improve The Fraction of The Dose Absorbed. Journal of Drug Delivery Science and Technology. 2016; 31:11-21
- Caibiao Hu, Qiang Wang. Non aqueous self double emulsifying drug delivery system; A New approach to enhanced Resveratrolsoulibility foe effective Transdermal Delivery; Collides and surface; Aphysicochemical and Engineering Aspects. 2016;489:360-369.
- Zupancic O, Partenhauser A. Development and in vitro characterization of a oral selfemulsify drug delivery system of daptomy. European Journal of Pharmaceutical Science. 2016;81:129-136.
- Madhav KV, Kishan V. Cationic solid selfmicroemulsifying drug delivery system of losartan; formulation development, characterization and in vivo evaluation; journal of drug delivery science and technology. 2016; 35:190-199.
- Nekkanti V, Rueda J, Wang Z. Comparative evaluation of proliposome and self micro emulsifying drug delivery system for improved oralbioavailability of nisolidine; international journal of pharmaceutics. 2016;505(1-2):79-88.
- Yadava SK, Naik JB. Enhanced solubility and bioavailability of lovastatin using stabilized of self-emulsifying drug delivery system; collides and surface; physicochemical and engineering aspects.2015; 481:20:63-71.
- Chinnala KM, Reddy UG. Formulation and in vitroevaluation of furosemide self emulsifying drug delivery systems. International Journal of Medicine and Nanotechnology. 2015;2 (2):219-227.
- Nawale BR, Salunke B, Pushpa. Ketoprofen loaded solid self emulsifying drug delivery system (SEDDS), development and optimization. International Journal of Pharmaceutical Science. 2015;20:102-108.
- Aparna C, Srinivas P. Formulation and evaluation of oral self emulsifying drug delivery system of lornoxicam. International Journal of Pharma and Bio Sciences.2015 ;6(2):381-395.
- Nicholas O, Lydia U.Ibuprofen selfemulsifying drug delivery system. World Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Science. 2015;4(2):887-899.
- Hussei AA. Preparation and evaluation of liquid and solid self-microemulsifyingdrug delivery system of mebendazole; Iraqi Journal of Pharmaceutica sciences 2014;23(1):89-100.
- Hyma P. Formulation and characterization of novel self micro emulsifying drug delivery system of glimepiride; International journal of Science and Technology 2014;24 (1):16401648.
- Chudasama AS, Patel VV; In vivo Evaluation of self emulsifying drug delivery system for oral delivery of nevirapine; Indian Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences; May - June 2014 Pages 218-224.
- Sunitha R, Satya SD, Aparna MVL. Novel Self-emulsifying Drug Delivery System- An approach to enhance bioavailability of poorly water soluble drugs. International Journal of Research in Pharmacy and Chemistry. 2011;1(4): 828- 838.
- Patel PA, Chaulang GM, Akolkotkar A, Mutha SS, Hardikar S. Bhosale AV. Self emulsifying drug delivery system: a review. Research J Pharm and Tech. 2008; 1(4):313-323.
- Mehta PP, Makanikar V, Parekh PP. Self emulsifying drug delivery system: a novel approach to enhance oral bioavailability of poorly soluble drugs. Journal of Pharmacy Research.2011; 4(7):2191-2194.
- Mittal P, Rana AC, Bala R, Seth N. Lipid based self micro emulsifying drug delivery system (SMEDDS) for lipophilic drugs: an acquainted review. IRJP. 2012; 2(12): 75-80.