Protective Effect of Tamarindus Indica Fruit Pulp Extract on Expression of Type 1 Collagen in Teeth of Fluoride Exposed Rats
Purpose: The present study investigated the beneficial effect of Tamarindus indica fruit pulp extract on the expression of type 1 collagen gene in dentin of incisor teeth of fluoride exposed rats.
Design/Methodology/Approach: Eighteen rats were randomly divided into three groups of six each. Group I served as control and received only tap water; group II received 200 ppm sodium fluoride in their drinking water and group III received fluorinated drinking water along with hydro-methanolic extract of T. indica fruit pulp (200 mg/kg body weight) daily by gavage for a period of 90 days. Dentin from incisor teeth was harvested at the end of the experiment for total RNA extraction.
Findings: Fluoride exposed rats showed the down-regulation of expression of type 1 collagen (Col1a1) gene as compared to control. Co-administration of T. indica fruit pulp extract during exposure to fluoride through drinking water increases the expression of Col1a1 gene in dentin as compared to untreated fluoride exposed rats.
Conclusion: It is concluded that daily oral administration T. indica fruit pulp extract had the protective effect on fluoride induced down regulation of type 1 collagen mRNA in dentin of incisor teeth of rats.
- Linde A, Goldberg M. Dentinogenesis. Critical Review in Oral Biology and Medicine. 1993; 4:679-728.
- Gage JP. Electrophoretic characterization of peptides from normal mature human dentine. Archives of Oral Biology. 1984; 29:575-80.
- Yan XY, Li WT, Zhou BH, Wang JM, Wang JD. Effect of supplemented protein and Ca nutrition on fluorideinduced disturbance of rib COL1A1 gene expression in rabbits. Fluoride. 2007; 40:140-8.
- Gupta AR, Dey S, Swarup D, Saini M. Effects of excessive fluoride ingestion on collagen protein and expression of type I collagen gene in skeletal muscles of rats. Fluoride. 2013; 46:149-155.
- Gupta AR, Dey S, Saini M, Swarup D. Down-regulation of expression of type 1 collagen gene in dentin of fluoride exposed rats. Indian Journal of Animal Research. 2014; 48:601-604.
- Gupta AR, Dey S, Saini M, Swarup D. Toxic effect of fluoride on biochemical parameters and collagen metabolism in osseous and non-osseous tissues of rats. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, India Section B: Biological Sciences. 2015; 85:719-724.
- Han TL, Wang M, Yan XY, Niu RY, Wang JD. Decreased expression of type I collagen (COL1A1) and dentin phosphoprotein (DPP) in teeth of fluorosed sheep. Fluoride. 2010; 43:19-25.
- Wang M, Han TL, Cao CF, Wang JD. Effects of aluminum (Al) and fluoride (F) on the expression of type I collagen (COL1A1) in the teeth of guinea pigs. Fluoride. 2010; 43:45-52.
- Jain SK. Plants in Indian ethno-veterinary medicine: Status and prospects. Indian Journal of Veterinary Medicine. 2000; 20:1-11.
- Sinha M, Manna P, Sil PC. Aqueous extract of the bark of Terminalia arjuna plays a protective role against sodium?uoride induced hepatic and renal oxidative stress. Journal of Natural Medicine. 2007; 61:251-260.
- Hassan HA, Yousef MI. Mitigating effects of antioxidant properties of black berry juice on sodium ?uoride induced hepatotoxicity and oxidative stress in rats. Food and Chemical Toxicology. 2009; 47:2332-2337.
- Ranjan R, Swarup D, Patra RC, Chandra V. Tamarindus indica L. and Moringa oleifera M. extract administration ameliorate fluoride toxicity in Rabbits. Indian Journal of Experimental Biology. 2009; 47:900-905.
- Khandare AL, Rasaputra K, Meshram I, Rao S. Effects of smoking, use of aluminium utensils, and tamarind consumption on fluorosis in a fluorotic village of Andhra Pradesh, India. Fluoride. 2010; 43:128-133.
- Gupta, AR, Dey S, Saini M, Swarup D. Moringa oleifera ameliorates the expression of collagen-1 in tibia bone of fluoride-intoxicated rats. Applied Biological Research. 2015; 17:200-204.
- Williams EM. Major herbs of Ayurveda (Dabur Researtch Foundation and Dabur Ayurvet Limited). 1st edn, Churchill Livingstone, London, 2002; 283-289.
- Dey S, Swarup D, Saxena A, Dan A. In vivo efficacy of tamarind (Tamarindus indica) fruits extract on experimental fluoride exposure in rats. Research in Veterinary Sciences. 2011; 91:422-425.
- Gupta AR, Dey S, Swarup D, Saini M, Saxena A, Dan A. Ameliorative effect of Tamarindus indica L. on biochemical parameters of serum and urine in cattle from fluoride endemic area. Veterinarski Arhiv. 2013; 83:487-496.
- Gupta AR, Dey S, Saini M, Swarup D. Protective effect of Tamarindus indica fruit pulp extract on collagen content and oxidative stress induced by sodium fluoride in the liver and kidney of rats. Toxicological and Environmental Chemistry. 2013; 95:1611-1623.
- Gupta AR, Dey S, Swarup D, Saini M. Tamarind (Tamarindus indica) fruit pulp supplementation prevents collagen degradation and down regulation of collagen 1 gene expression in fluoride exposed rats. Fluoride. 2015; 48:131-138.
- Komutarin T, Azadi S, Butterworth L, Keil D, Chitsomboon B, Suttajit M, Meade BJ. Extract of the seed coat of Tamarindus indica inhibits nitric oxide production by murine macrophages in vitro and in vivo. Food and Chemical Toxicology. 2004; 42:649-658.
- Feungchan S, Yimsawat T, Chindaprasert S Kitpowsong P. Tamarind (Tamarindus indica L.) Plant genetic resources in Thailand. Thai Journal of Agricultural Science. 1996; 1:1-11.
- Coronel RE. Tamarindus indica L. In: Plant Resources of South East Asia, Wageningen, Pudoc. No.2. Edible fruits and nuts. (Eds.) Verheij, E.W.M. and Coronel, R.E., PROSEA Foundation, Bogor, Indonesia, 1991; 298-301.
- Glew RS, Vanderjagt DJ, Chuang LT, Huang YS, Milson M, Glew RH. Nutrient content of four edible wild plants from West Africa. Plant Food for Human Nutrition. 2005; 60:187-193.
- Vuust J, Sobel ME, Martin GR. Regulation of type I collagen synthesis. European Journal of Biochemistry 1985; 151:449-453.
- Manimaran VS, Srinivasulu S, Rajesh Ebenezar AV, Mahalaxmi S, Srinivasan N. Application of a proanthocyanidin agent to improve the bond strength of root dentin treated with sodium hypochlorite. Journal of Conservative Dentistry 2011; 14:306-308.