Solid Lipid Nanoparticles- An Innovative Approach for Improving the Solubility and Bioavailability
Purpose: The purpose of this study is to give a general review on solid lipid nanoparticles (SLNs) as a novel drug carrier for improving the solubility and bioavailability of drugs.
Approach: Among the various colloidal drug carriers, SLNs have been emerged as next generation drug delivery system for incorporating lipophilic drugs. They are relatively nontoxic and nonirritant. The review insight on the various methods of preparation, characterization and also the application of SLNs for improving the solubility and bioavailability is explained here.
Findings: SLNs is used as a novel carrier for improving the solubility of poorly soluble drugs which may results in enhanced bioavailability and stability of drug can also be improved by incorporating drug in the form of solid lipid nanoparticles.
Conclusion: This review presents an overview of SLNs which includes SLN and its properties, excipients, techniques used in preparation of SLNs, characterization, and their applications.
- Torchilin VP. Nanoparticulates as drug carriers. Imperial college press; 2006:195.
- Phaechamud T, Tuntarawongsa S. Clotrimazole soft lozenges fabricated with melting and mold technique. Res J Pharm Bio Chem Sci. 2010; 1(4):579-86.
- Subedi RK, Kang KW, Choi HK. Preparation and characterization of solid lipid nanoparticles loaded with doxorubicin. Eur J Pharm Sci. 2009; 37(3):508-13.
- Sharma N, Rana S, Shivkumar HG, Sharma RK. Solid lipid nanoparticles as a carrier of metformin for transdermal delivery. Int J Drug Deliv. 2013; 5(2):137.
- Kumar DP, Subrata C, Soumen R. Formulation and evaluation of solid lipid nanoparticles of apoorly water soluble model drug, ibuprofen. Int Res J Pharm. 2012; 3(12):132-37.
- Garud A, Singh D, Garud N. Solid lipid nanoparticles (SLN): method, characterization and applications. Int Curr Pharm J 2012, 1(11): 384-393.
- Mehnert W, Mader K. Solid lipid nanoparticles: production, characterization and applications. Adv Drug Deliv Rev. 2001; 47(2):165-96.
- Uner M, Yener G. Importance of solid lipid nanoparticles (SLN) in various administration routes and future perspectives. Int J of Nanomedicine. 2007; 2(3):289.
- Yadav NE, Khatak SU, Sara UV. Solid lipid nanoparticles-a review. Int J Appl Pharm. 2013; 5(2):8-18.
- Lason E, Ogonowski J. Solid Lipid Nanoparticles – characteristics, application and obtaining. Chemik. 2011; 65(10): 960–67.
- Nikam S, Chavan M, Sharma PH. Solid lipid nanoparticles: A lipid based drug delivery. Nanotechnology. 2014; 1(3):5.
- Parhi R, Suresh P. Production of solid lipid nanoparticles drug loading and release mechanism. J Chem Pharm Res. 2010; 2(1):211-27.
- Ramteke KH, Joshi SA, Dhole SN. Solid lipid nanoparticle: a review. IOSR J Pharm. 2012; 2(6):34-44.
- Khadka P, Ro J, Kim H, Kim I, Kim JT, Kim H, Cho JM, Yun G, Lee J et al,. Pharmaceutical particle technologies: an approach to improve drug solubility, dissolution and bioavailability. Asian J Pharm Sci. 2014; 9(6):30416.
- Lim SJ, Kim CK. Formulation parameters determining the physicochemical characteristics of solid lipid nanoparticles loaded with all-trans retinoic acid. Int J Pharm. 2002; 243(1):135-46.
- Nimbalkar UA, Dhoka MV, Sonawane PA. Formulation and optimization of cefpodoxime proxetil loaded solid lipid nanoparticles by box-behnken design. Int J Res Ayur Pharm. 2011; 2(6):1779-1785.