Antiulcer Study of Capparis zeylanica Extract on Gastric Secretions and Phenylbutazone Induced Chronic Ulceration in Experimental Animals
Purpose: The objective of the study was to investigate the possible effects of 50% ethanolic extract of Capparis zeylanica (CZE) on gastric secretion and Phenylbutazone ulcer in rats. Approach: Twenty four adult male rats were used in this study (four groups) and several parameters were determined to assess any degree of protection. The ulceration was induced by Phenylbutazone at a dose of 100 mg/kg b.w.
Findings: Phenylbutazone toxicity induced + CZE treated rats showed a significant decrease (p > 0.001) in volume of gastric juice, free and total acidity, pepsin concentration and acid output with a significant increase (p > 0.001) in pH compared to Phenylbutazone toxicity induced rats. Phenylbutazone caused a significant decrease (p > 0.001) in TC:P with a concomitant increase (p > 0.001) in protein and DNA. After treatment of CZE in rats, a significant increase (p > 0.001) in the carbohydrate concentration in terms of TC:P ratio and significantly lowered (p > 0.001) protein concentration in gastric juice was observed. CZE tended to increase mucin activity in Phenylbutazone + CZE group.
Conclusion: It can be concluded that CZE imparted a protective action against phenylbutazone induced chronic ulcer in rats.
- Alqarousmis, Al- sohaibani M, Al- Howriny T, et al. Eruca sativa: A salad herb with potential gastric anti- ulcer activity. World Journal of Gastro enterology. 2009; 15(16): 1958-65.
- Crawford JM. The Gastrointestinal tract in Robin's Pathologic Basis of Disease (8th ed), Saunders, New Delhi. 2003; pp. 787-802.
- Kirtikar KR, Basu BD, Indian Medical Plants, Vol I, International Book Publication Distrubution, Dehradun, 1987, pp. 195-201.
- Sini KR, Sinha BN, Rajasekaran A. Antidiarrheal activity of Capparis zeylanica leaf extracts. Journal of Advance Pharmaceutical Technology and Research. 2011; 2(1): 39–42.
- Khare CP. Indian Medicinal Plants: An Illustrated Dictionary. SpringerVerlag Berlin/Heidelberg, 2007; pp. 119-20.
- Haque ME, Haque M, Rehman MM, et.al. E-octade-7-en-5-ynoic acid from the roots of Capparis zeylanica. Fitoterapia.2004; 75(2): 130-33.
- Chopra RN, Nayer SC & Chopra IC.Glossary of Indian Medicinal Plants.1996; pp. 49-129.
- Mishra SK, Singh PN, Dubey SD. Evaluation of CNS depressant activity of Capparis zeylanica Linn root. Research Journal of Medicinal Plant. 2011; 5(6):738-746.
- Nizar T, Walid E, Ezzeddine S, et.al. The caper (Capparis L.): Ethnopharmacology, phytochemical and pharmacological properties. Fitoterapia 2011; 82: 93–101.
- Sini KR, Sinha BN, Rajasekaran A. Protective effects of Capparis zeylanica Linn. Leaf extract on gastric lesions in experimental animals. Avicenna Journal of Medical Biotechnology. 2011; 3(1): 31–5.
- Harborne JB. Method of extraction and isolation In. Phytochemical Methods. Chapman & Hall, London. 1998; pp. 60-6.
- OECD. Guideline Number 423 for the Testing of Chemicals: Revised Draft Guideline 423 (Acute Oral Toxicity). Paris, France: OECD; 2000.
- Liu XM, Zakaria MNM., Islam MW, et.al. Anti-inflammatory and Anti-ulcer activity of Calligonum comosum in rats. Fitoterapia, 2001; 72: 487 - 91
- Anoop A and Jegadeesan M. Biochemical studies on the anti ulcerogenic potential of Hemidesmus indicus R.BR Var. indicus. Journal of Ethnopharmcology. 2003; 84: 149-56.
- Jainu M, Mohan KV, Devi CSS. Gastrorotective effect of Cissus quadrangularis extract in rats with experimentally induced ulcer. Indian Journal Medical Research 2006; 123:799–806.
- Khushtar M, Kumar V, Javed K, et al. Protective effect of ginger oil on aspirin and pylorus ligation induced gastric ulcer model in rats. Indian Journal of Pharmaceutical Science. 2009; 71: 554-58.
- Wolker V, Taylor W H. Pepsin 5 in gastric juice determination and relationship to the alkali stable peptic activity. Gut. 1979; 20: 977-82 .
- Goel RK, Gupta S, Shankar R, et al. Antiulcerogenic effect of Banana powder (Musa sapientum var. paradisiaca) and its effect on mucosal resistance. Journal of Ethnopharmacology. 1986; 18: 33–44.
- Goel RK, Sairam K, Dorababu M, et al. Effect of standardized extract of Ocimum sanctum Linn. on gastric mucosal offensive and defensive factors. Indian Journal of Experimental Biology. 2005; 43(8):715-21.
- Goodman & Gillman's, The Pharmacological basis of therapeutics, 10th ed., New York,Mc. Graw Hill, 1999, pp. 1011-12.
- Govindarajan R, Vijaykumar M, Rao CHV, et.al. Antiulcer and antimicrobial activity of Anogeissus latifolia. Journal of Ethnopharmacology. 2006; 106: 57-61.